Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good Readers and Good Writers

Our author, Nabokov, believes that the characteristics for a good reader are that they fondle ideas, and also maintain an artistic and scientific mindset. Nabokov believes that there is nothing wrong with forming an opinion after reading, but it is unfair to do so before finishing the reading. A good reader must also maintain the passion of an artist and the patience of a scientist. I do agree with these thoughts; however I would like to elaborate on the passion of the artist. I believe that interest creates passion. To be a good reader you have to find the material interesting enough that it holds your focus and concentration. A good reader should be able to find some sort of interest in every piece they choose to read. In my opinion, it’s this interest and love of a particular subject that creates the passion necessary to fulfill the parameters set forth by Nabokov.  To be quite honest, I do not think of myself as a good reader. I form prejudices about characters long before I even get close to finishing a story. I’m impatient and lack that quality while reading. I will hurry through stories just because I do not want to be reading, and then kick myself for wanting to start a novel in the first place. By listening to Nabokov’s opinion and my own elaborating, maybe I will be able to change my ways, and become a more passionate and patient reader. 




This page I found interesting about writing a good story. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment