Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Atwood's Handmaids Tale


Margaret Atwood’s, Handmaids Tale, is a very interesting piece of literature. It explores an idea in the world that I have never thought about before. I have heard of totalitarian governments before, but this one really adds a sense of reality. It is probably Atwood’s writing which is very descriptive and enjoyable to read. I think what confuses me most about this text, is just how an entire population of citizens can just be brain washed like that. What factors have to come in to play to create a population of people who believe and follow in these ways? Everyone now follows the rules put forth, and nobody dares go against them. Maybe fear is a factor. I think that a topic involving the Nazi dictatorship will help me to understand this story. I can use the Nazi society to help show how the society in which Atwood created was formed.  Aspects such as brainwashing in a dictatorship, Hitler Youth members, and propaganda can help to make me better understand this story. I believe that I can effectively write a paper on how a society like this can form. The examples from the Nazi society will help to provide evidence to the reality of this society. I really choose this topic because the Nazi society has always been interesting. I just keep wondering how a society can be so stuck in a certain way. I imagine our society, and every member has a diverse and different opinion on everything. How can members of society, who have these different stances on every topic, form into a single cult like group, stuck in one way? It is just very interesting how a society can be brainwashed, and the forces that are working to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment